Saturday, March 8, 2014

Paula Writes: International Women's Day and leaving on a jet plane

It's International Women's Day and a wonderful time to look at the remarkable women around the globe, both past and present, that have made such an impact in every aspect of our lives--sometimes at great risk and sacrifice. On this day, I can't help but think about the young woman I've most had the chance to influence--my lovely daughter Katie. Unfortunately on this drippy day in the Northwest, Katie is on a Southwest airlines jet winging her way back to college at the University of Redlands in sunny So. California as spring break comes to an end.

She created this blog the day before she left to go back to school and shared some fun things about our last day together before she left. Even though I'm sad about her leaving, well, for one I've had a couple years now to get used to it. And also I know I'll see her in 49 days--give or take a few (but who's counting?).

Reflecting on the values I hope I imparted to her on this International Women's Day, I'm quite pleased by the young woman she's become. I know she's got a few more years of maturation to undergo before she's all the way there, but I think the big work has been done.

For one, she's got confidence that is rooted in understanding that her body can be strong and capable if she feeds it well and exercises it thoroughly. We always told her she was, "smart AND pretty," as a child, but I don't really think she thought she was smart until she went to college and actually realized how smart she is. So sad that she was funneled into lower level classes as a middle schooler, mostly to balance numbers and there she began to feel she was in the "dumb" class--a feeling that persisted into high school. Amazing how she can go to college and make and stay on the Dean's List. . . .But I digress. She also has discovered how strong her faith is an how important it is to her. One of her most alluring characteristics is her HUGE heart! She feels such great pain for anyone who is less fortunate than her (no doubt influencing her career choice in communicative disorders), loves every animal--from whales to kittens (I do regret not spending as much time with her at the pool when she was a child because she might have become that marine biologist if she felt more comfortable in the water.. ). She is sensationally well rounded--liking art, music, dance, sports, the outdoors. . . . you name it. . . and is very talented at almost all of those things. She has a wonderful sense of humor--maybe doesn't like to be teased so much though.  Oh, and she IS beautiful. She thinks her butt's too big--but she loves it anyway and that's good.

She has SO much potential and so much to offer this world. I am SO exceedingly proud of her! So that's my contribution to International Women's Day. If all of our daughters reach the age of 20 and were as well grounded as mine, the world will be a better place. We've made a lot of progress with this one generation and the future is incredibly bright.

No comments:

Post a Comment